Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vanilla Eclairs


I decided to half this recipe because I did not want 20 of these babies sitting around my house. (Unfortunately, I have a slight pastry addiction....) These are really good, and surprisingly quick and easy. I made the pastry cream before my kid's bedtime, the eclairs after they were in bed, and they were all eaten (by my husband, I swear) within the space of an hour or so. We didn't refrigerate them, just ate them.

Unfortunately, my eclairs were not very puffy. I think I undercooked them, and when I set them down too sharply on the counter, they deflated. So, I didn't want to take time to make the glaze because they were not pretty, I just dusted them with powdered sugar. Even though they were flat and glaze-less, they were good!

11 comments:

  1. Well, they do look nice. I cook mine longer that Dorie suggests and hotter too...and I wished I'd cooked them even longer. But they must have been really good to all get eaten quite quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They don't look flat at all in the photo.. in fact they look rather lovely. I think many of us experienced the deflated puff syndrome, but I managed to solve the mystery of keeping my pastry nice and dry, and best of all, puffed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree....glaze or no glaze, these are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to half the recipe too as I am not able to eat any; ended up making the whole batch and will give them away today :) sorry to hear your éclairs deflated but they look great in the photo and the most important thing is that they tasted good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed! I made the full recipe and they didn't last too long...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the timing in the recipe was off because I had the same issue and I'm reading that a lot of other people did too. Boo. :(

    Yours look great though and as long as the husband liked them, I'd say that's a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful! I think they needed a little longer baking time, too! I actually made half into profiteroles and froze them for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your eclairs look wonderful. Tricia and I made mini eclairs because
    we didn't have the correct size tip. They looked cute, and tasted
    good too. Not too much guilt to go with that size, even if you ate three.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You didn't want 20??? I don't see why not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look pretty (and I like your plate). I also made a half batch of flat eclairs. I'll need to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These were gone in no time at my house as well! If my kids hadn't been home my husband would have easily polished off all of them. :) These look pretty with a dusting of powdered sugar.

    ReplyDelete