Friday, February 18, 2011

Pancetta Green Beans


Why I liked this recipe:

1. Loved that it was a side dish. Most days I just want to grill/bake some meat and have a couple of sides. This is perfect for me.
2. We are from the south....so that usually translates to all our vegetables having absolutely no bite to them at all if they are cooked. I liked that these green beans were crisp tender, but my family would eat them because they were so flavorful with the pancetta.
3. It was easy.

Why I didn't like this recipe:

1. Unfortunately.....I don't like pancetta. I never had pancetta before, but I knew what it was (sorta like a non-smoked bacon). Well, around here we have a lot of country ham, and at a certain time of year we can obtain "hog's jowl" (or hog's jaw). That is what pancetta tastes like to me...and I just don't love country ham or hog's jaw. I loved the recipe as long as I ate around the pancetta.

Would I make this again? Yes, but I will be using thick cut bacon.

5 comments:

  1. I used bacon and it was great...that nice bacon flavor. It is fun to try different ingredients, but sometimes the same old thing is the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - interesting about the bacon vs. pancetta. I enjoyed the pancetta and found it to be a very salty and flavorful bacon. We loved the dish (as did Nana's household) but I also plan to revisit it with bacon, pine nuts and even some walnuts- all ideas I picked up from reading the LYL's this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used bacon instead of pancetta because I could'not find pancetta in my area at the time. I know you'll love using bacon in the green beans next time you make them. I appreciate your honesty and I enjoyed reading your post very much! I'll look forward to coming back again for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not fond of pancetta, either - it's far too salty for me. Bacon sounds like a good substitute, from what I've read around the group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read lots of posts about salty pancetta. Guess I was lucky because mine wasn't too salty at all. Being a southern girl myself I know what you mean about mushy veg!

    ReplyDelete